One of the original news reports on the Sandy Hook massacre, December, 14, 2012.

Stories of heroism by adults and children are emerging from Sandy Hook Elementary School. School therapist, Diane Day, described how principal Dawn Hochsprung and a school psychologist, identified as Mary Sherlach, leaped from their seats and ran out of a meeting when they heard gunshots. “They didn’t think twice about confronting or seeing what was going on,” she told the Wall Street Journal.

Hochsprung and Sherlach were shot dead in the hallway, according to news reports.

Sandy Hook’s lead teacher pressed her body against the meeting room’s door, which did not have a lock, Day said. The gunman shot through the door, wounding the unidentified teacher in an arm and a leg. “She was our hero,” Day said.

Parent Robert Licata told WABC-TV that the gunman burst into the classroom of his 6-year-old son and shot the teacher without saying a word.

“That’s when my son grabbed a bunch of his friends and ran out the door,” he said. “He was very brave. He waited for his friends.”

First-grade teacher, Kaitlyn Roig, said she was in a morning meeting when she heard what sounded like automatic gunfire. She then locked her classroom door and herded her students into the bathroom, where the locked them in and blocked the door with a tall storage unit.

Teacher, Laura Feinstein, told WTOP-FM, that she hid with students under desks and shelves after hearing gunshots.

She hurried two children into her classroom in the back of the school, locked the door and tried calling the office. She hid with four students under the computer desks and shelves and tried calling 911 but had no cell reception. She then texted her husband.

“We just kept hearing shots and shots and shots. There were a lot of them, and I was just praying that someone would come and save us and we kept waiting and eventually they did,” Feinstein said.

Feinstein said the intercom was left on, and among the bits of conversation she eventually heard a clear voice say,” You’re safe, we’re here, it’s OK.” She then knew that help was on the way.

Feinstein said the 40 minutes that passed before someone escorted her and the students out of the building “felt like an eternity.”

Contributing: Oren Dorell